History is replete with examples where all those concepts that could not be explained by the existing level of science were ridiculed by human’s logic driven mind and rightly so. That the earth is round and is not at the center of the universe was one such example. Astrology too faces the wrath of our logical minds and has been ridiculed as a pseudoscience till date. But this blog will change the way you look at this science of the Vedic era. Post reading this blog you will begin to appreciate the undeniable connection between Ayurveda and Astrology (for those who still consider Ayurveda as a pseudoscience or those who don’t understand the exact science behind it, I urge you to pick up a copy of the book THE ROOT CAUSE and watch the root cause series videos on YouTube). Let’s begin this exciting read, but, before that a few questions for you to ponder upon:-
Here they are:-
Question 1– Why is it that more than 79% of the world population, resides closer to the equator though only 31% of the GDP is located here?
Question 2– Why is it that different times of the same day (24 hours cycle) have different impact on our behavior e.g.
- We are more likely to be most aggressive during noon hours.
- We feel sleepy during the dark hours of the day and alert when its well-lit.
Question 3– Why is it that like different times of the day, even different times of the year (meaning different weather conditions) too have so much of role to play in our behavioral pattern e.g.
- We are we likely to be calmer during winters vis a vis summers.
- We are also likely to eat more during winters than summers.
And here are the answers:-
*** This is to reiterate that since basic Ayurvedic terms and principles have been used to explain the logic behind these facts, for total clarity, I urge you to pick up a copy of THE ROOT CAUSE book (links mentioned at the end of this blog ⇓⇓⇓⇓and also watch this video.
Answer to question 1: We all know that heat in the areas closer to the equator is way higher than those farther from it. It is this heat that increases pitta (amount of current) and vata (rush of current) in our mind and body, thus making us high on energy (in a way impulsive). And, it is this impulse due to high vata and pitta (called as Rajasic approach in Ayurvedic terms) that is the reason for higher population in areas closer to equator. Also, while the mind high on vata and pitta gives high IQ (which is what Afro Asians are known for), the flip side is that high pitta and vata also lead to low EQ (i.e. emotional quotient) and low EQ means impulsive/unsettled mind which leads to chaos and therefore lower GDP.
*** Please understand that this statement is to indicate the collective conscience of these regions and it doesn’t mean that everyone in this area is high on IQ and low on EQ.
Answer to question 2: The entire 24 hour cycle of the day is primarily governed by sunlight. When, direct or indirect light from the sun falls onto our eyes, its energy (called as photons) travels through the eyes to our pineal gland (also called as third eye) thereby increasing current (pitta) and thus alerting the mind and body. It is because of this reason that pitta is highest in the body in between forenoon and afternoon making us prone to more aggressive behavior vis a vis other times of the day. And it is this reason that one’s lunch should be heaviest when sun is at its peak (because digestion or agni of the stomach is strongest at this time), whereas breakfast should be lighter and dinner the lightest. As the sun moves away from its peak, vata takes over (as pitta has burnt the food stored inside us and dried us down) and as sunlight fades away and pitta cools down, kapha takes over to repair/replenish our body, thus slowing down our firing nerves and calming our mind to go to sleep. The figure below depicts, how a day witnesses cycles of pitta, vata and kapha. (Remember that artificial light does manipulate this cycle to some extent and that’s why it is suggested to stay away from artificial light at least an hour before going to sleep).
Answer to question 3: Since sunlight falls for longer hours during summers, pitta goes highest during this season, which results in irritated minds due to excessive current flowing in our brain whereas during winters due to less heat (pitta), our minds are more settled. During winters, our blood moves away from the skin (that’s why we develop dry skin) and towards the core of the body, which increases the strength of our digestive organs located in the core thereby increasing the agni (metabolism) or say digestive fire. This subconsciously provokes us to eat more, which we are able to digest (and store) easily due to good digestive fire. Exactly the reverse happens during summers. Figure below depicts how different weather, changes the level of vata, pitta and kapha in our body and mind. (Like artificial light, air conditioning manipulates this effect to some extent).
While these are some of the examples, they are sufficient to establish the fact that physiology/psychology (infact Vata, pitta and kapha) of any person gets affected by three parameters which are:-
- Location of the person as evident from answer 1,
- Time of the day as evident from answer 2,
- Time of the year as evident from answer 3.
And you will be surprised to know that exactly these three and only these three parameters are the ones, which are used by Astrology for arriving at the birth chart of a person or an event.
To understand why, lets pick up another question.
If two groups of people with different opinions (Remember that as such each one of us has a different opinion, so this situation holds true all the time, even for individuals) are made to meet each other to agree on a point, what impact do you think the weather of the occurrence of meeting will have on the outcome of the meeting?
And here is the answer:-
It’s quite logical that the outcome of the meeting is likely to be far more amicable if it happens in a conducive (meaning comfortable) environment vis a vis if they meet during hot and humid weather. Moreover this meeting will have lasting impression on their relationship with each other. A clear cut case to exemplify this concept is the case of Indo-Pak relations. Why do you think that people of India and Pakistan despite sharing the same place and history for several years, are unable to reach a consensus and rather the gap in between them is widening only with time? It was, because their separation took place when the weather was extremely hot and humid leading to impulsive minds and thus emotional outbursts, escalating into bloodshed. In fact most of you wouldn’t know that the leaders of the nation were suggested by certain famous and established Astrologers that 15th August was not the right time to divide India and Pakistan and it will lead to bloodshed and feeling of enmity forever between the people of two nations.
This establishes the fact that the time of the beginning of an event (whether individual or involving more people) has an ever-lasting effect, not only on the individual/group concerned but also on the collective conscience because it is the time of the event that decides the environment of the beginning of that event. It is this reason that Mahurat (time of inauguration or say beginning of an event) carries a huge importance. And the birth of a child is also the beginning of an event. Isn’t it?
In fact, the mind of a new born is like a blank CD or say hard disk (or say kapha) where pitta (like processor of the computer) will start writing new information on the CD and vata (like RAM of the computer) will start connecting dots to convert this information into knowledge. This is the reason that all these three (and only these three) parameters are used by astrology to arrive at the birth chart of a person. So, the birth chart of a person depicts nothing but the conditions and combinations of weather conditions which translate into his/her physiology/psychology (or say vata, pitta and kapha) at the time of his/her birth. It was basis this understanding that our ancestors (or some advanced beings beyond our comprehension) created a formula which could tell that how will the person behave in coming times basis the state of VPK (which are nothing but zodiacs and planets) in the birth chart.
To conclude, Astrology uses all the principles of Ayurveda some of which are :-
- Vata, pitta and kapha (VPK) and their differing ratios exist at different locations, different times of the day, month and year.
- All parts of the body are connected to each other e.g. though mind governs the entire body, it has very close connection to heart. Same way gut health has got a lot to do with the health of brain as it is the gut which digests and absorbs food.
- Since all events are planned and conducted by human mind, they involve human consciousness. And since human consciousness (which is made up of VPK) gets affected by the environment, the immediate outcome of an event as well as the future course of that event and the people connected to it, also depends upon the time, place and date of occurrence of that event. And every event (small or large) has an effect on the collective conscience of the world and vice versa,
- Opposites attract – A vata person is bound to get attracted to a kapha person and vice versa which is the law of nature as well. As such, imagine a vata person getting married to another vata person- their house will be high on creativity but highly disorganized OR two pitta people getting married to each other- they will keep fighting with each other as pitta increases ego OR two kapha getting married- their house will lack energy.
- Different parts of the body are governed by different doshas and a healthy body should have upper body higher on kapha, chest and stomach higher on pitta and intestines higher on vata. The birth chart of a person clearly reveals all this because astrology divides human body into 12 parts and the dosha/s (VPK) of each part are determined by the zodiac and the planet present in that part (this explanation has been given here just at the very basic level) .
TO UNDERSTAND DETAILED CONCEPTS OF AYURVEDA AND OTHER VEDIC SCIENCES including ASTROLOGY, YOGA, MEDITATION, ASHTANG YOGA, PLEASE PICK UP A COPY OF THE ROOT CAUSE BOOK from the links given below ⇓ ⇓ ⇓ ⇓ ⇓
Notion Press link- https://notionpress.com/read/the-root-cause
I books (Apple)- https://books.apple.com/us/book/id1467888962